Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 31- Reloaded

WARNING- I haven’t been dead for the past week and some change. I just didn’t have access to my blog in China (Repressed by the government. Curses!) so I’m transferring my blog posts from my journal to blogger and adding pictures. AS SUCH, in order to get a good grasp of the time line…GO TO DAY 31 FOR THE START OF CHINA OTHERWISE YOU WILL MISS OUT ON SOME PRETTY INTERESTING STUFF. Ahem. So there. It'll take awhile for me to get in present day, so please just bear with me.

So, I’ve gotten to China and so far it’s been…alright. The funniest thing was that the time which we landed. (pictured to the left). That’s one of the worst puns I’ve done in a long time, but it was just really funny at the time. Work with me. Anyways, in its favor, the flight from Inchon (Seoul ish) to the airport in Shanghai was only two hours. Though not in its favor, after getting off the two hour flight, the fourteen of us travelers met up with our contact people only to find out that the bus driver who was supposed to pick us up had gotten lost as he did not know the airport. Ker-sigh.

But whatever. If anything, I’m flexible. After walking around the terminal, we found the bus driver, hopped in and took off. Yay. Almost all of us immediately passed out when we went on the bus, just from walking and we were just plain tired.
Now, I neglected to mention that we needed to leave for the Inchon airport at 7:30 AM. Yes, not a pleasant time for anyone in their teens to twenties. Like zombies, we staggered to the bus and hopped on.

While I’m passed out in the bus for this part of the story, I’ll tell you a little about Korean airports. In a single phrase- they rock. Not as great of security going in, you don’t have to take off your shoes, jackets, outer layers of skin…it’s a beautiful thing.

We got to the hotel in Suzhou after an hour and a half bus ride, which after our leery experience near Boryeong, had left us a little suspicious of hotels (which are clearly NOT the same as “accommodations”), we were pleasantly surprised. I was rooming with Albert West (which I was not exactly happy about) and Campbell. Though, all three of us have different rooms with one adjoining common room and a common bathroom with a shower. Score.

The rooms themselves are nice, though it took me a day or two to figure out how the Internet works over here. Unfortunately a great deal of websites that I would commonly use in the US or Korea are blocked, including Facebook (meh), Blogger (which is why I’m only posting this now) and Youtube (NOOOOOOOOOOOO!). But I’ll live on.

After buying a converter for about my computer, I couldn’t figure out (at this point) how to get online. Fortunately, now I was able connect to the internet, I couldn’t figure out how to actually get online. Gah. But, the upshot of this is that I was able to figure out a Rubik’s cube. Campbell was nice enough to teach me how to deal with a 2x2x2 cube. Totally a lot of fun.

It was cool. I actually felt some solidarity with Campbell and Albert- maybe it’s because we were all so tired, but it just felt alright. Don’t question a good thing, right?

-Reven

No comments:

Post a Comment