Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 38- Loose Ends Tied Up

WARNING- I haven’t been dead for the past week and some change. I just didn’t have access to my blog in China (Repressed by the government. Curses!) so I’m transferring my blog posts from my journal to blogger and adding pictures. AS SUCH, in order to get a good grasp of the time line…GO TO DAY 31 FOR THE START OF CHINA OTHERWISE YOU WILL MISS OUT ON SOME PRETTY INTERESTING STUFF. Ahem. So there.

So, after yesterday's fiasco, I've been keeping my room in lock-down. Campbell moved in with me and it a pretty smooth transition. I kept with my normal group of five people: Campbell, Jim, Nancy, Libby and Miranda and we went around the city- first to this stop called Insadon, which is a place for tourists to buy stuff. I was able to find what I needed for my family and friends and move on.

After buying stuff we headed back to the dorms, dropped off the stuff and relaxed for awhile before heading out to Itaewon, which is basically like a Chinatown, except for all foreigners. If you are looking for Western stuff- go there- it is your place. We walked around for a few blocks and bought Taco Bell. The beef tasted different again and the food was a bit more expensive, but that was alright. Oh, and I saw the name of an orange soda type drink and couldn't resist taking a picture:



Here's the meal:

Yes, the hot sauce packets have little sayings on them too:


Our group split up when we returned to the subway station- Campbell/Jim/Nancy/Libby headed to Dongdaemoon (a place to buy more stuff of which I didn't need more) while Miranda wanted to head to EMart and I wanted just to rest and head back.

So, the four branched off in one direction while Miranda and I went off on the same track. As we were in the process of returning a Korean woman approached Miranda and speaking in English asked if Miranda knew what our society thought of sin. Miranda basically shrugged and passed the lady off to me, the latter asked me what I thought sin was.


I responded with the usual: pride, greed, lust, gluttony, wrath, sloth, envy. The woman then asked me if I thought that society was saying these things were alright. Not sure what answer she was looking for, I merely asked her what she thought. She believed that society was saying that certain sins (didn't clarify which though) were being ok'd by society and that society is really off track. She then introduced herself as a Jehovah's Witness and handed me some pamphlets as I walked off the train with Miranda.

Raising my eyebrow, I offered Miranda the "Lowering Stress" pamphlet that the JW had given to me, to which Miranda just rolled her eyes and sighed. She said that she really couldn't stand those kind of people who try to force religion down other people's throats and not listen. I agreed that the situation sucks and recounted my tale of running into that Muslim guy a few days ago. She then said that she just can not stand Jehovah's Witness people. I asked her why that was.

"It's just...annoying. They force what they think at you and I don't need that. I believe in what I believe and I don't need anyone telling me otherwise."

She had a strange expression on her face, almost a hurt expression like this was something that impacted her greatly at one point in time. I suddenly felt this strange kinship with her but before I could ask her what she meant by that or what she believed in, our paths separated- me to the dorms and her to EMart. I will have to ask her later.

I can understand where she is coming from. I almost left the Orthodox and Christian Church this past school year over being badgered and being told what I thought was right is wrong and that was even by someone who believes in the same belief system as I do (in theory) and had the exact denomination as well. So...while I don't know what she believes (she has no religious views on facebook and I've never heard her talk of anything of the sort), I am very curious. This may be a conversation for the flight home.

Later on, Campbell and Jim came over and we played a traditional Korean game until 2 or so in the morning and realized that sleep would be an excellent idea. I'm going to miss the people here. Honestly, I am.

-Reven

No comments:

Post a Comment