Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"Ah, the benefits of a redundant nervous system!"

"Yeah, humans don't have that." Ahem.

So, yeah, I was aiming to work out this morning, but it didn't happen. I screwed up my ankled a couple of weeks back (two or so) and it hasn't been right since. Now, as you may imagine, there has to be a story behind this. Oh, and is there...

So, one of my friends, Kryos, was over and we were going to watch Star Trek (the recent movie- excellent film). If you haven't seen, you owe it to yourself to watch it and this is coming from someone who had seen possibly two complete episodes of Star Trek ever. Just a solid movie. Anyways, I remembered that I needed popcorn for the movie and being the stupid person I am, I jump over the couch which separated my living room of my apartment from the hallway that doubled as a kitchen. Now, most normal people would probably gracefully spring from the couch over the chair and stick the landing. Ah hah. Much like in Soviet Russia, the landing stuck me. I landed on my ankle with a soft thud. Apparently it was so soft of a landing that my roommate, Ed, who in the next room over didn't even notice I was indisposed.

So, for those of you keeping track at home, the scoreboard is: Reven- o, Room-1. So, naturally, I find myself unable to move and quite frankly unable to get up. Problem. Kryos calmly walks by me and asks, "Want some ice?" To which I responded with a heartfelt "Yeah, sure."

Kryos calmly walks over to my refriderator and looks in the freezer portion, checks it, turns to me and says "You don't have any ice." Ugh. Reven- 0, Room- 2. So, being the resourceful (read: desperate) guy I am, I ask Kryos what exactly is inside the freezer. A mere thirty obscenity filled seconds later, I am seated on the couch, icing my sprained ankle with a bag of frozen Tyson chicken breasts and a packet of Ballpark franks while Kryos fills one of my eight (yes, eight) ice cube trays for later. Yes, they were all empty. Fail. Also, for future reference, frozen Tyson chicken breasts and Ballpark franks are not nearly as good as an ice pack for a sprained ankle. Just a word to the wise.

So, this is a long way of saying I didn't go work out in the morning because my ankle was ticked at me. It apparently needs roughly 15 or so hours between workouts or it gets all upset and won't let me walk. I was hoping to do two-a-day workouts this summer, but this is really a stumbling block (pun unintentional). Anyways, that didn't happen until later this evening. For some reason, evening workouts just feel better (probably because I'm more concious at 8 PM than 8 AM).

In unrelated news, I also got my shots for going to Korea and China which consisted of a tetanus booster (I guess I was due), typhoid (which I always thought sounded like a cool name, almost like a comic book villian) and Hepatitis A. The doctor administering the shots was an alright guy and didn't seem annoyed when I asked him what kind of vaccine typhoid was (having taken an immunology course in the spring, I was familiar with the other two) and how the symptoms would present if someone was infected (ie one of my fellow classmates). Cool guy. Anyways, I was feeling pretty pumped about the trip until I got home and checked my email and noticed that the Director In Charge (make your own acronym, please) had sent the group an email. Sigh. The Director In Charge is a nice lady, but I feel like she leaves us out of the loop a good portion of the time.

In the latest email, she informed us that we (the students going on the exchange) needed to register our visit to Korea and China with the State Department as every year, students from our college do that. Ugh. Then why tell us just now rather back in early March when we set up this whole fellowship? Remember that "out of the loop" thing? This would be one of those times, madam. However, the rest of the email went on to explain that the college and the Director In Charge would keep the rest of us students in the loop about any travel restrictions and that it is not unnatural for tensions to build up between North Korea and South Korea. Sure, sure, good. But then the last sentence mentioned that "we (referring to the colleges) will keep you informed regarding any changes in our positions about attending the summer program." Wait, what?

Now, I may be a bit, y'know thrifty at times. But, I just paid for a plane ticket that cost about as much as a brand new 58 inch plasma TV (according to Panasonic). And seeing as that plane ticket was nonrefundable and my college is not likely to compensate me for it, nor trade me the aforementioned 58 inch plasma TV for it, I am going to Korea. Now, if there was a small war going on that involved several countries and possibly cruise missles, bouncing betties and heavy artillery , this would be a different story. However, I'm going to go out on a limb and just assume that this current incident is just the latest spat between South and North, which have been going on for probably the last fifty to sixty years. I'm not that concerned. This being said, I would look really foolish and arrogant in a month, when I am over there, huddled over a computer, hiding and mortars are flying eight ways to Sunday. But, I doubt that will happen.

I remain firmly in the United States until June 24th when I will hop on the wonderful plane that will take me to Seoul and be one of the most interesting experiences of my life. And I know it will be a good one

-Reven

No comments:

Post a Comment