Saturday, May 29, 2010

"I'm pleased that the imminent destruction of all organic life has improved you career opportunities."

So, it's not the new week because the sun hasn't come up yet. Yes, that's how I distinguish day from day. Which, admittedly makes things difficult in the winter when the sun rarely shines some days. But, that's my shtick and I'm staying with it.

Anyways, I'm excited because I will get to work on a new short story tomorrow/today. I rarely get the opportunity to do that, so I'm pretty pumped up. I have most of it outlined, just need to get it out of my head. The only problem that I have so far is that I'm not sure how to end it. Basically, I have two endings: the optimistic one where most everyone ends up happy and the pessimistic one where everyone is upset. I'm struggling between the two, because while I do not want my characters to end up unhappy, most of my short stories end up with the main character(s) being redeemed in some way shape or form and I'd be afraid of coming across as too samey. But the upset ending doesn't necessarily destroy hope.

I can think of the ending of one movie in particular *HERE THAR BE SPOILERS PLEASE SKIP ALONG IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW, THIS MEANS YOU KATJA BECAUSE WE ARE GOING TO WATCH IT SOON, DARN IT*- The Dark Knight. It was an excellent movie on all fronts, in my opinion. Good characterization and plot. The Joker especially was intriguing. And, without going too much into the incredible movie of The Dark Knight (of which there is much), I'd just like to focus on the ending. Let's face it and agree with Jim Gordon's statement that the Joker won. Dent went rogue and ended up dead, Batman ends up a vigilante with the blood of two cops on him (though why Batman and Gordon couldn't just blame on the Joker, I cannot fathom), Rachel gets caught in the crossfire, Fox almost loses his faith in Bruce and Bruce Wayne himself (just to distinguish him from Batman) pretty much ends up alone. However, it is in that moment where Batman and Gordon both realizes that while the situation is horrible, it is the hope that is generated in Batman realizing that he must become the vigilante in order to keep pretty much Gotham safe that gives me a warm feeling inside (and possibly a tear on my cheek...I had something in my eye, I swear!).

END SPOILERS

So, maybe it's not just the optimistic or pessimistic ending. I mean the aforementioned ending is a pretty big downer. Maybe it's more the execution of it that matters. I'll have to consider this...it'll take much thought.

-Reven

No comments:

Post a Comment