Friday, May 28, 2010

"Firing a high impact shot!"

So, the reason I really haven't been able to update for the past while is due to my internet situation, or lack thereof. You see, when you have two Facebook/computer addicts (my sister, me) and one computer with operational internet, it can get messy. So, that being said, in my best interests of going to sleep (6 or so hours before going to work), I must forgo blogging.

However, since I now have the new code for my neighbor's wireless internet (Thank you, friendly and amazing neighbors!), I am able to be on the internet at the same time as my sister. Yay!

This being said, she went to sleep two hours ago and the point is moot. Though in the future, I will be relishing this little achievement. Now, onto today's issue: Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT).

My understanding on the law itself is shaky, but as well as I understand it, people in the military cannot inquire upon the sexual preference of personnel for fear of any homosexuals being "outed." I guess I can see their point. What I do not understand is why being homosexual would matter.

Apparently, US law has a stipulation in it that prohibits anyone who demonstrates homosexual behavior from serving in the military because if someone was/is homosexual it would create some kind of risk for morale, discipline and unit cohesion. This was news to me. I really hadn't looked into the issue that much myself until people at my college were protesting it being changed. Now, the people at my college hadn't said which side they were on (for or against repealing DADT) but, I'm going to guess they were for DADT.

Anyways, I don't see how having someone who is homosexual in a unit be that big of a problem. If a person can take orders, shoot a gun and be an excellent soldier, I trust them with my national security. Sure, there may be homophobes who would take issue to homosexuals being in the military. But then again, if there is someone who takes that big of offense to a fellow unit member being, could you trust someone that immature with national security? I mean, seriously. Quite frankly, I struggle to imagine what it was like for African Americans in the US military prior to the 1960s when racism was more acceptable (I'm not going to say that racism is dead, as it unfortunately is not, but just that it was much worse in previous years than current). At least one could attempt to hide ones sexual preference. But skin color? You can't hide that.

But I honestly do not see how it would make any difference when serving with someone in the military. Or rather, I do not see that it *should* make any difference. I mean, I would think that fighting together would give a sense of solidarity to a squadron of soldiers, moreso than any petty bickering (ie sexual preference, politics, religion). The enemy of my enemy, and so forth. Wouldn't a common enemy be enough to unite people?

Then again, I can hear people saying "well, what about shower situations?" Oh dear. Yes, I could see how some people would be uncomfortable being naked around someone who they thought was gay. Sure, fine. But, (just a personal opinion here) I'd be uncomfortable being naked around people in general (heterosexual or homosexual). But, hey, it's just showering. If you have time to think about who is around you and who may be looking at you, you clearly have been taking too long. And if it bothers you? Seriously, man up (or *woman up* as the case may be) and deal with it. Showers shouldn't take that long and who wants to be naked in a public shower that long anyways?

Of course, I'm saying this with my own opinion, not having served in the military or roomed with anyone that is homosexual (to the best of my knowledge), but if the latter was true, so what? If my college roommate was gay (not that he is), whatever. Nothing would change. So, then why is the military special? Why would such a bias be enough to merit a law, that if someone was homosexual it would provide a risk to morale? If people are that petty to not be able to get over that (not just military, but Americans in general), what is the problem with our society? Why can we not just tolerate, but accept people that are different? Religion, Sexual preference, political preference, age, race, spirituality (yes, different than religion). Why can't we get over these differences?

Pretty soon, we won't even need an enemy anymore because we'll be too busy fighting ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment