Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 12- Presentations and Revelations

Well, another semi-eventful day. Today was the presentation for Korean History and it went well. Jessica (especially) and I nailed that first section of the Choson period, for the win! It took about an hour to outline the section that we had to present on but it did not entirely feel that long.

The instructor couldn't think of anything negative to say and my fellow classmates from my university even said that the presentation flowed well and was more interesting than the teacher herself (though, according to them, while that isn't that hard to do, it is fully intended as a complement). We took a break (as we do pretty much every hour on the hour) and relaxed for ten minutes. Though when we came back, the instructor informed the class that she'd present on anything that we (Jessica and I) forgot. Eyebrow raised, I was wondering if we had forgotten to put in the kitchen sink as we had put pretty much everything else in our presentation.

Puzzled looks on our faces, we listened as the teacher basically regurgitated our presentation back at us, with possibly one little point here and there. I was not impressed. Nor was Jessica, but that's just purely speculation. But whatever. It was an hour of the same material at a slower pace though to give credit where credit is due, the teacher did point out that Jessica and I did thorough when we covered the topics that SHE HERSELF was covering again. If we did such a good job as you say, madam, why on earth are we hearing the same material again? *ker-sigh* Whatever. At least the class ended at 11, instead of noon.

Don't mistake my frustrating with the teacher for a lack of interest in the material. I honestly enjoy Korean history. But she doesn't exactly present it in the more appreciable way. I am able to get through it with my aquaintence/friends (however you characterize either of them).

We have a midterm exam for that class on Friday, so all of the powerpoint presentations for that class will be needed for study material. Fine, fine. The teacher said that all of the PPT (Powerpoint Presentations) are on the main computer for the classroom. Ok, fine. So, she suggests that we all plug our flash drives into the computer and downloaded the necessary material. My compatiots from my school and its posse, Big Jay, Jim, Campbell and Miranda, noticing that I had a flash drive, nominated me to hang behind and get the information for the group. Of course, this is one of the fewer times that they go out of their way to make me part of their group (I usually have to find them to tag along). How convienent. I agree- Sure, fine, whatever. That's all well and good. The four of them leave as the first person plugs her flash drive into the computer. The computer instantly reboots.

While the eight or so of us stand around the computer, dumbfounded. The teacher sagely suggests that the computer may have a virus. No kidding, thinks I to myself. But what then do we do? After a moment of standing around, I nominate that all of the files should be attached in an email and sent to those of us that hung around. There is a grunt of consent from the group and the instructor opens one of her email accounts. And while her email is functional, the email account refuses to attach all seven or so PPT files.

Hmm, this may be tricky. So, nominating that she try her Yahoo email account, the files finally attach. This whole process took roughly a half hour from the point where my "group" left me in the room to wait. Thankfully they were still downstairs waiting for me to grab some lunch.

It's funny being part of that group. I don't necessarily feel like my presence there adds much to the group, nor my abscene takes anything away. I do not believe that any of them, while sitting around drinking or whatnot, would think to themself and think "Ah, what if Reven was here?" No, I doubt that sincerely. This is fine- I wasn't looking for some deep and meaningful relationship with the people from my school, but just to feel appreciated every once in awhile.

By comparison, the students from Hanyang (originally) and also a few students from other random schools when I hang with them make me feel like one of the group. So...yeah. Why do I hang out with the other group again? Riddle me that, Riddler.

Lunch was standard- nothing incredible to write home about, but it is worth mentioning that I did get an enormous slice of pizza for lunch, though it was probably more expensive than it needed to be.

Language class has gotten a deal more interesting than before, which while it was before, it has taken the next level. We transitioned (a bit rockily at first for me) from straight up letters and pronounciation to greetings and introductions. This may not sound like that huge of a leap, but when you are just reading letters, transitioning to phrases and thoughts can be a bit of a jump.

After class, Miranda asked me how to get to the Linguistics building- she's also doing the experiment(s). My directions, she said, were kinda vague, so I offered to walk with her. It's a bit funny- we walked basically in silence for the ten or so minutes until we got there. I couldn't think of anything to talk about...much less anything that wouldn't get shot down in flames by snarkiness. But silence is golden, right? We had spoken earlier today- she had left language class abruptly two hours in during a break and did not return. Apparently she has gotten some kind of ear infection and it somewhat blocked her hearing in her one ear yesterday and today it blocked it in her other ear. Hope she gets better.

Anyways, I walked her into the humanties building and gestured the way. She didn't immediately see the hallway (admittedly, the geometry of the building made it difficult to see), so I walked her to the door. When we got there, I actually got a sincere thank you from her. Perhaps we are making progress after all. :)

While the rest of the group is deciding to go out drinking tonight, I think I'll stay in. I didn't think I would say this, but after having gone out drinking for the first eight days I have been in Seoul, the whole appeal fades away. I mean, I love going out with people as much as the next guy, but I guess I think of going out as a special occasion and by doing it every night, it diminishes the power of it when it happens. This probably sounds dumb, but whatever, I don't care. I like playing drinking games as the next person, but it just loses it shine when I've done it every other day. It just doesn't feel special.

Is this saying that I won't go out in the future? Goodness no. But I need to space going out more often just to make it that much more special. It's just a personal thing. Maybe I'll write...I've had a story bouncing around in my head since I've landed here a little under two weeks ago and I should work on getting it out.

On another note, I called a friend from my home university who lives in Korea and we're going to get lunch tomorrow after the last step of the experiment. I'm excited. Very excited.

-Reven

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the history presentation! I'm sure the teacher hadn't expected you two to do so well and she'd all ready been prepared for you guys to do far worse, so she'd have to fill in the gaps. Computers always seem to get virus at the worst possible moments, don't they? Oh, on that note, the hard drive on my Dell died, so um... I can't write until it's recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kat! Yep, I'm definately happy that we knocked the socks off of the teacher.

    Ack! No! No dying computer! NOOOOO. Ahem. That sucks...I've been looking forward to a chapter for awhile. :( Haha, I'm just giving you a hard time. My condolences to you for your computer.

    ReplyDelete