Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 9- Part One- Take Me Out to the Ball Game...

So, recently I've come under some flack for not posting pictures coughMomcoughKatcough. I've updated some past posts with pictures, so you may want to take a look just for kicks and giggles. However today's posts will be rather picture intensive due to the nature of the event: Korean baseball game.

From what I gather, the rules are the same as the MLB, just different players and such. Also, Korean Baseball takes coporate sponsorship to the next level and the teams themselves are actually owned by companies. For example, the teams that played that night were the LG Twin and Lotte Giants, with LG being the electronics manufacturor and Lotte being a wholesaler. Most of the teams are unheard of in the US (due to them being Korean companies by nature) save for Kia, LG and Samsung. Also, one of the teams is the SK Wyverns which I personally think is amazing that a team would named after a Wyvern.


Due to the nature of South Korea being the size of Ohio in terms of geographic area, teams share stadiums. As noted by the entrance sign, LG shares the statium with the Doosan Bears.

An interesting cultural inversion that I noticed is that it is not only accepted but encouraged for people to bring food into the stadium. As in the next few pictures, venders are selling food right outside the stadium and no one bats an eye or checks a back to make sure that no one is trying to sneak food in. There was a nice variety of food from chicken to seafood. Beef seemed to be lacking but one could easily find it inside. Where, you may ask?


Yes, right there. Turns out "Whopper" is also used in Korean. I bought one for the sheer novelty of it and was surprised. It actually tasted better than US hamburgers- at least meat wise. Apparently while US gets beef from South America where regulations for cattle isn't as great, Korea gets its beef from Australia, which has higher regulations and serves a better product, in my mind. Go figure, right?

I think just for formatting sake that I'll break the posts up. Not sure how many posts I'll have, but they'll be published in quick sucession. Oh and here's my ticket.


-Reven

2 comments:

  1. Finally pictures! Looks very interesting. And the U.S. seriously gets its beef from South America? I'm shaking my head in shear disbelief of such stupidity (it's not like we have cows or anything...). Although, I can't talk as I don't chose to eat meat. I love the fact you can bring your own food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Finally pictures. :) And yeah, that's legit. But I guess it's cheaper in S. America compared to the land down under. Burgers here are a little bit more expensive than the US, but not incrdibly more expensive. I dunno. And yes, it's quite fantastic to just amble into the stadium with drinks/food clearly in hand.

    ReplyDelete