Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 25- The Other Shoe Drops...

So, my weekend off and the Boryeong Mud Festival left me in an interesting place today. I hadn't done any of the reading for history, hadn't really reviewed for language class. Naturally, due to the law of things inevitably going wrong, I would going to pay for this in some way. Thankfully, I was only half right and even then it was nothing *that* horrible...well...kind of.

Let me back up: History class was pretty much the usual "mind in neutral"/"sleep with eyes open" for two hours. Even though the time frame is closer to the present (1950s to 1997 was today), I still find the older dynasties more interesting. Not sure why that is, whether it is a genuine interest in ye olde emperors and such or the fact that the class was newer back then and held my attention better. Either way, the sort-of present is not exactly thrilling. Take me back to the 1300s, please.

Moving on to language, our teacher informed us that we had a practice exam today. Oh joy upon joy. With all ten of us people in the class looking at the teacher like a deer look at an oncoming SUV, we grasped our writing implements in quaking hands.

The result wasn't that pretty. We basically stratified ourselves into three groups: those that got it (about two or three people), those that sort of get it (me along with a few others) and those that don't try/care (two people). And those in that meaty middle tier...it wasn't exactly a happy medium. I had problems with the listening exercises, but that's always been the case for me- even in German. I fared better on the writing, but it was still rough.

After none of us (save for one person who made us all look bad) actually finished the test, the teacher took the pages that we did get for her to look over and told us to finish the rest for tomorrow. There was a general groan of despair from across the classroom. This sucked. It's not like the work by its own merit was difficult- we just needed to really review and look over the stuff. Though, my progress over the course of the evening on the test was similar to tunneling through a concrete wall using only a metal paperclip. It was slow but steady.

I don't think the teacher will actually grade our tests, just check them for correctness (I told her she may need a new red pen for mine, yuk yuk yuk) and hand them back to the students whose egos have been steamrolled over the past day.

Aside from the test, my evening was pretty relaxed. I got a chance to go running, which was nice, though due to my inability to mentally convert kilometers to miles, I'm not quite sure how far I ran. Anyways, it was nice. Upon looking it up, 1 km= 0.62 miles.

I also said that I would post pictures of the mud festival today- I was wrong. I've been up too late and it'll have to be delayed until tomorrow. Oh, and in case you haven't, check out my somewhat humorous feature below for the fifty-first post.

-Reven

No comments:

Post a Comment