Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 20- Soccer...and more Soccer...

So, today was a field day of sorts. The problem was that the majority of people were hung over from the night before and attendance was at a low for the most part. That aside, it went somewhat well.

It was run by the Korean volunteer students and it was nice to run around and do stuff. However, the activities were...alright.

We started out playing soccer. Now, to clarify, I've never had a good experience with soccer. I sucked at it as a kid, due to being asthmatic and overweight and as a result never got good ballhandling/passing skills. I can run up and down the field just fine (even better now) but don't rely on me for anything other than minor passes and getting in the way of the other team (though that's come in handy more than once). SO, we played a game of soccer- 20 minutes or so.

Then as we were about to transition to some other sport, this broadcasting teacher, a prick by the name of Prof. Chang shows up and tries to run the show. I sigh as he decides that he wants to do another game of soccer- International students Vs. Korean. Fine, sure. But sir, we just finished playing a 20 minute game on our own.

The guy has the nerve to ref the game and act all pompous. Thankfully, I was not alone in my frustration of this turn of events. More than one person grumbled about Chang showing up and whatnot. The point should be made: Chang isn't even a Hanyang full time prof (he's a visiting prof from Ithaca). Not that this makes him any more or less of a jerk for taking control- it just seems less justified in my eyes though.

Thankfully, after the first twenty minute half (gah) and the internationals being down 3-1, the elementary school kids come out on the field. Yes! thinks I to myself, we'll have a reprieve. Oh and we do after Chang and the gym instructor lock horns for a bit, and there was more than one person internally cheering, I could tell.

The highlight of this afternoon was the free (yes, free!) lunch. Fried chicken, noodles and pop for all. And did I mention that it was free? Amazing. Though, I do have to protest- Chang wanted us back out on the field RIGHT after eating (of which I had much). Whereupon a few other students and I looked at him with a "You've gotta be kidding" expression on our respective faces as our bodies were preoccupied with digestion rather than running around. Reluctantly, we wandered back onto the field.

International still lost though, but whatever. Life goes on.

After a little dodge ball, I wandered back to my dorm room and listened to music for the next while. I really didn't feel the urge to socialize, give my somewhat awkward encounters with people here.

Though, while I don't necessarily try to let people in here, sometimes they barge in- literally. One of the nicer guys from my college, Campbell, is truly a nice guy. He's chatty, maybe a little superficial, but energetic and enthusiastic. He's one of the bar people, but decent conversation on a walk from Points A to B. However, I must fault him on one thing: he opens up my room door randomly.

Much like in any college setting, I believe proper etiquette for one requesting permission to enter another's room by knocking on the door and waiting for a reply. This is common courtesy as it gives the room person time to mentally recognize the sound and get the door to invite the knocker in. This social norm seems lost on Campbell. He knocks on the door, waits until about "one Missi..." and tries the doorknob. Silly me, I have yet to lock the door thinking that most people would understand the convention of society and not open the door on their own, but by golly one of these days I will learn. Sarcasm ends here, by the by.

He wanted to check his email and chat, both of which I was more than willing to do. As I said, he's relatively nice to talk to- though he is not very deep and not having attempted sarcasm on him, I am concerned if I did he would not get it. Though, aside from randomly entering my room he's not a bad guy at all- rather the opposite is true. He's quite pleasant, but again not too deep or concerned with learning (openly admitting that he doesn't remember the last book he read and lives off of other students explaining the teacher and textbook to him), so he's a nice distraction here.

In other news, read 37 pages for tomorrow's history class. Hopefully I can prevent another incident like what happened on Tuesday (check it, if you don't remember) and it'll all be good. My fingers, after I type this will be crossed. Here's to hoping the week will finish out well...and possibly that I'll finish one of two short stories that are basically in the "writing phase" (their dialogue being finished).

-Reven

EDIT: I'm planning something special for my fiftieth post. Be prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment