Friday, June 25, 2010

"Day One and counting..."

So, after having been up for the past 30 or so hours, I fell asleep last night after getting in. The flights were kinda rough. Basically, I woke up at 4:30 to fly out of *** airport at 9 to take a four hour flight to LAX to wait a few hours (2 to be exact) to fly our 12.5 hour flight to Inchon airport in Seoul. Thankfully, the movies on the second flight were not bad at all. My reviews:

Shutter island- Not bad, very intense. Had a number of good twists but a bit depressing in the end. Good story nevertheless.

Percy Jackson and the overly long title- Actually decent- basically kid finds out he's a demigod and has to deal with it and the fact that Zeus had one of his bolts stolen and is ready to declare war against the other gods. So, said kid (son of Poisidon) has to figure out where the bolt went and is accompanied by a few friends along the way. The action was quite standard, but there were a couple very funny moments involving Medusa's severed head (the hotel scene, if you've watched it) played by Ms. Uma Thurman.

How to train your Dragon- If you haven't seen this yet- see it. NOW. Tried watching it in German at first, but didn't like the new voice actors as much.

Now, once I touched down, I thought to myself "Oh boy, how is someone from Hanyang going to find us?" Thankfully, as Miranda and I exited the plane, we saw a student carrying a sign for ONU. "A-ha!" says I to myself "That's where we want to go." So, the student's name is Suckyung Lee and she was quite nice. She was our guide back to Hanyang, which was needed immensely (at least on my part). We took a bus, which was supposed to be an hour trip. This being said, an hour trip on a Friday night in a major city totally slows down traffic. So, about an hour and a half later, Miranda and I checked into our dorms (we are in two different buildings).

I met my roommate, Yeonho. He's twenty five, so a bit older than me, and an engineer to my pharmacy. He seems really nice. I was a doofus and forgot my sandles (and a towel, oy) back in the US and he was kind enough to let me use a spare pair of his sandals. Though it is a bit difficult for us to communicate. He is Korean by birth and lives there as well and as such speaks some but not a lot of English, where I, being an American, speak only English with barely any Korean. Thankfully pantomine goes a far way and it's all good. I'll post pictures of the room later.

-Reven

4 comments:

  1. YOU'RE ALIVE!!! Good, I was worried for a mere second there. How to Train Your Dragon is on my list of movies to see, and it comes auf Deutsch?? Awesome. Good luck communicating with your roommate! And as per usual: Don't Die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks to Suckyung and Yeonho for making your first impressions so pleasant. Enjoy your city tour today. Love ya OX

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences to Korea and they soccer team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat- Yeah, I'm trying not to die right now. But my tempermental internet has me to despiration. It's rough. I'll survive.

    Mom- I'll pass the thanks along. Check out the last post for my thoughts for the tour. And yes, I'll go into the evening as well.

    ReplyDelete