Friday, June 11, 2010

"Fyed!? Fyrd ev ed ec risyh?"

"Wait! What if it's human?"

So, I was talking to my dad just a bit ago about going to see this Bodies exhibit. The basic premise is that there are plasticized bodies of people that are posed both as anatomical dummies and as art. Interesting to me. My dad thinks it's morbid. I can see his point.

I mean, those bodies basically had a soul (if you believe in that, I do), hopes, dreams and aspirations at one point in time. But, to me right now, they just are bodies- shells of what once were. I mean, one wouldn't get all in an uprorar over using cadavers for medical school. To me, it's like looking under the hood of a car- except I know how bodies work and cars baffle me still. Seeing as I'm going into the medical profession, I should be able to see skinned bodies, just muscle, adipose, bones and nerves.

Though this is not to say that when treating a person in the medical field that one should just look at the body...mind and soul are necessary too in my opinion. Hell, the mind and how it perceives stimuli can entirely impact how a person feels pain, anger, regret...all of those things. Very important to consider all variables when treating someone medically, in my mind.

Now, funerals are an entirely different matter than the exhibit. Same basic idea- dead body in the prescence of living, but the meaning is different entirely. Personally, I'm not a fan of funerals as I understand the religious significance that is usually paired with it. But I don't know if I want a funeral of my own. Personally, I'd be dead anyways, so it's not like I could come back and harass my surviving members about what was wrong or right about my presentation of death. A number of funerals I have been to have been quite somber, which makes sense as the attendants have lost a loved one. But I'd want my funeral to be a celebration of life (which it's supposed to be according to the Church, I think). Possibly the required funeral rites as deigned by the Orthodox Church in America and then possibly a party afterwards- two drink minimum. Possibly music/dancing. I think people would enjoy that. Hell, it may even get people to show up. :P

But I'll reserve my final opinion on the exhibit until I actually see it. Until then, hopefully, I'll remember to write on a more regular basis.

-Reven

No comments:

Post a Comment