Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"Only those who try will become."

Today I recieved an email from the Korean teacher at the university I am going to. He said in the email that there will be placement test to sort those of us incoming students into Intermediate and Beginner Korean learners. I appreciate the sentiment. Though, this being said, I find myself slowly backing away from my Korean book, for if by some fluke (and stranger things have happened) I end up in the Intermediate, I am going to be ticked. This is mostly because I can have the ability to give off the front (this is unwittingly, by the by) that I know more about a subject than I actually do. It's kinda scary and has gotten me into trouble a couple of times (and pulled me out of the fire a few times as well).

Though that is quite unnatural for me to do. I am, by nature, quite an overachiever. It's been somewhat unhealthy in the past, especially high school, but a number of people would suggest that I've mellowed out since then. So, why do I do it? I guess I just don't believe that doing anything less than my best is acceptible in my mind. Which, when taken in large doses can lead to quite a deal of self deprecating, which I like to do in joke form. As a matter of fact, that is probably the one topic that is never taboo- making fun of ones self. Basically, it helps me blow off steam and gives people a chuckle. Win-win situation.

I'll probably expand on the quote above later, but for now, I'm tired and have to get up early...perhaps tomorrow...

-Reven

No comments:

Post a Comment