Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"Spontaneity has its time and its place. "

Yes, the above quote is supposed to be ironic. Points to anyone who can figure out its source.

So, good news on a number of fronts. First off, congratulations to the South Korean team for making it into the next round of the FIFA World Cup! Out of my own curiosity, I was hoping they would make it into the next round as I would be able to be in a country that cares about football/soccer and is really enthusiastic about it during the World Cup. Personally, I've never been entirely interested in soccer. It's fun to play and all, but I don't see how riots could break out after games. But this being said, I'm very interested to see what it's like when the South Korean team faces off against Uruguay in a few days. Should be interesting. I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

Second up is playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl this evening with a good friend of mine. I'm somewhat addicted to that game, I confess. I'm not entirely sure why I enjoy it as much as I do- it's not an especially good fighting game, but it is admittedly very fun to attack your friends with your favorite Nintendo mascot. And also, with the inevitable craziness that often occurs in multiplayer gaming, it makes for a fun evening and then some.

Also, received a new form from Hanyang regarding a few special events, field trips if you will. AND I TURNED IT IN RIGHT AWAY. Ahem. Just want to point that out. I'll go more into detail about them as they approach, but here's a brief overview:

-Tour of Seoul- June 26- includes visiting Gwanghawhumun SSquare, GyoungBok Palace, the Blue House, National Palace Museum, and a Korean Folk Village. Sign me up!

Caribbean Bay OR Everland- June 30- Respectively one of the biggest indoor/outdoor water parks in the world and a theme park that includes a zoo. I was heavily recommended to pick the water park over Everland, and that'll probably happen. Cedar Point and Walt Disney World probably have spoiled me for theme parks all around.

Baseball game- July 3- Between LG Twins and Lotte Giants who are two rival teams, according to my information. Supposedly the environment is very different than US baseball, so I'll just have to see for myself. My information packet also (oddly) stated that "if you like beer, you MUST go!" Hah. Some things do cross cultural lines, now don't they? As to what is actually meant by that, I'll just have to find out.

International Party- July 9- Basically the school rents out a popular bar in the area around the school for all of us foreigners! Yay! The bar's name is Viaerae, which just sounds cool, almost like some kind of mythical beast with numerous heads.

NANTA Performance- July 10- It's hard to tell exactly what it is to be honest. My packet refers to it as a mixture of non-verbal comedy, cooking and guests from foreign countries and also THE most popular show in Korea. Perhaps some research on my part is required.

Sports Day- July 14- Basically this sounded like a field day type event; students competing against other students in various sports. We'll see if it's any different from elementary school field days...

Boryeong Mud Festival- July 17-18 (yes, overnight)- My packet explains this as a "famous event for both Koreans and foreigners living in Korea." Also, as the name may suggest, it takes place in Boryeong which is two hours away from Seoul. There appear to be many events revolving around mud and the theme of mud including mud jousting and mud wrestling (oh, the comments will begin...) amongst other stuff. Will have to do more research into that before I actually go on said trip, but the concept of it has me intrigued. Hmm.

So yeah, that's my basic itinerary. I should be attending all of the above events and post pictures at some point. Sounds like I have a rather full month or so ahead of me.

With a little over twenty-four hours before I leave, I guess I can best describe my emotions towards the trip as excited but slightly nervous. Even with the itinerary, I'm not really what to expect on my trip. But, I guess that's half the excitement, no?

-Reven

No comments:

Post a Comment