Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"I cannot believe my eyes/How the world is filled with filth and lies..."

So, this is part of my effort to keep blogging every day so that when I go overseas it won't be that unheard of to write something online every day. I've heard that once one does a certain habit for 21 days in a row, it becomes ingrained. So, good news, right?

Anyways, the above quote is from Dr. Horrible's Sing along Blog. My sister introduced me to it and it is incredible. I don't normally get into musicals so quickly but this was an exception. Though, I hesitate to call it a musical as the total video lasts a little over forty minutes. Without spoiling too much of it, the premise is that Dr. Horrible is a bit of an incompetent supervillian scientist type who is struggling to make it into the League of Evil as most of his plots fail or are foiled by his arch nemesis, the jerkish superhero Captain Hammer.

Now, Dr. Horrible is not a supervillain all of the time, and when he isn't trying to get into the League of Evil, he's a guy named Billy who is trying to romance a woman at the laundromat named Penny. The plot thickens when one of Dr. Horrible's devious plans goes awry and almost puts Penny in harm's way. While Horrible is trying to prevent Penny's death, Captain Hammer swoops in at just the right time and saves her. And, so a romance and love triangle begins. Much hilarity ensues. Musical number.

Now, it may sound a bit unoriginal for a premise (sans the music) but the execution is amazing. I'm pretty sure most of the writing was done by Joss Whedon and it is up to his usual calibre of work, which is to say, superb. Neil Patrick Harris is incredible as Dr. Horrible and although he is the card carrying villain, he is clearly the protagonist and very endearing. Oh! As a bonus, the guy who plays Wolowitz from The Big Bang Theory is fantastic as his sidekick. I wasn't too familiar with the rest of the cast prior to watching, but they are also great. I urge you to check this out. Be warned, though: the musical numbers are VERY catchy and you may find yourself humming them for days/weeks after. Allow me to be your cautionary tale.

Aside from that, a lot of today was basically just running around- did some running in the morning, took my mom out for lunch for her birthday and returned some stuff to my roommate, Jack, that he had forgotten to take back with him. He's the one responsible for all of the Mass Effect quotes...so blame him.

Tonight should be interesting- a party of sorts. Hopefully I won't be more awkward than usual. :P

-Reven

No comments:

Post a Comment